As a senior in college, my thoughts are constantly on my future career and my looming graduation date. I could easily let myself overthink and worry about this future. Not to mention the fact that being a college student nowadays means that I am repeatedly told about the “horror story” that is the current job market and how competitive my résumé needs to be in order to land that dream job. All of these thoughts lead to one stressed out individual. However, my mind is put to ease when I think about my past internship with Netsmart and my ongoing one this year. My experience gives me confidence in my ability to be successful. Unfortunately, this is not the case for every internship out there. It takes a special kind of company to be willing to invest in the blooming workforce in a way that creates a lasting impact. Netsmart has given me this opportunity to grow through the Futures program. It was and is my job to take these opportunities and make the most of them.
Some of the top lessons I learned from my time at Netsmart:
- Be willing to learn: This is one of the most important lessons I can give. The time and resources put in to train and teach you will mean nothing if you refuse to put in the effort to learn.
- Try new things: It is easy to fall into what feels safe and normal, but an internship is one of the greatest times to experience new fields of thought. Seriously, give it a try, you might surprise yourself!
- Always ask questions: One thing that really stood out during my time with Netsmart was the willingness of the other associates to answer questions. Your questions allow you to grow your knowledge. Like they say, there is never a bad question. If you have trouble understanding, never hesitate to ask for help.
- Absorb the experience: In the long run, a ten week internship goes by in a blink of an eye. However, the experience you gain from these few weeks will impact your future. Absorb every second of it.
- Develop relationships: This goes beyond networking and having a good letter of recommendation, both of which are important, but during an internship you will meet a lot of other interns and associates. Get to know them on a personal level as well as a professional level. They become your resources and support.
- Lastly, have fun! Take internships seriously, but have fun at the same time. At Netsmart, they plan various Future activities outside of work. Take advantage of these fun moments and relax.
Remember, no matter how many opportunities you are handed, if you do not take them in stride and learn from them, they become worthless. Always cherish the opportunities presented to you throughout your life, and never let them go to waste. You are not just an intern, you are the FUTURE.
Brianna Sanders, TIER Delivery Analyst – FUTURE