We are privileged to work with many associates who have firsthand clinical experience. These talented individuals work together with our technology teams and clients to ensure we’re delivering solutions that work in the real world – not just the testing lab.
In this series, we spotlight individuals who now apply their skills and wealth of knowledge to meet and exceed the needs of our clients.
Kelli Heathman – Talent Acquisition Partner
1. Tell us about yourself.
I grew up in Olathe, Kansas and graduated from KU with a bachelor’s and license in social welfare. After working in social services for a couple years, I came to Netsmart to join our consulting team. We work with our clients to help educate them on our solutions and partner with them to assist in improvement of their processes. While working with associates from our client organizations, I found my passion for human resources. Talent acquisition has allowed me to utilize all my prior experience to recruit top talent. All organizations I have worked for placed value on the physical and mental health of the patients/clients. Netsmart allows me to stay loyal to my passion and believe in our mission.
I am engaged to my fiancé, Cody, and have two hunting dogs who are treated like royalty.
2. Give us some highlights of your career in healthcare.
Social Services Highlights:
- Finalizing an adoption for a sibling set and attending the ceremony
- Providing on-call crisis intervention to families to help them recover from difficult situations
- Organizing and facilitating case planning conferences
- Assisting new mothers in applying for their newborn’s insurance and providing them with any resources needed
- Meeting with care coordination team (including physicians) to discuss best discharge arrangements
Healthcare IT/Recruiting Highlights:
- Meeting students on campus and developing relationships with them
- Managing the FUTURES program and ensuring all our interns are having a one-of-a-kind experience
- Taking our interns to volunteer in the summer
- Helping candidates find the perfect fit for them at a company that cares about their growth and future
3. Why did you make the change from clinical work to working at Netsmart?
I loved working directly with clients and/or patients. I felt like I had a purpose each morning and couldn’t wait to get to my clients. However, there came a time where I was taking all my work home and I had a limited work-life balance. I neglected taking care of myself and my own mental health. I was told about an opportunity at Netsmart that would allow me to work directly with organizations like those I already had experience in. I would be able to help these clients learn our EHR solutions and analyze their current business process to offer suggestions and improvements. I immediately jumped on the opportunity, knowing that I would still be working within the mental health industry but also with their associates, which at one time I was one. Having experience in the clinical field allowed me to understand what challenges our clients and those they serve face daily. It was so easy to communicate with them and understand their frustrations. As a result, I had exposure to many different roles within a corporate business and was able to make a later transition into HR where I help candidates find the best fit for their talent!
4. What makes you passionate about serving the clients/organizations who use Netsmart’s services?
To work at Netsmart, you must have a passion for what we do. Our clients are compassionate, strong, and kind people. We want to make sure we are hiring associates who not only share those same characteristics, but also do their best to ensure they receive high quality services. I am very passionate about our clients and the work that they do. I want to make sure I provide the business with top-talent who share that same passion and will partner with our clients. After working for our client organizations, partnering with them to implement our solutions, and now hiring our future, I am so happy to build Netsmart as we continue to grow.
5. What does your perfect weekend look like?
A perfect weekend would be and my family at the lake. Sleeping in, eating breakfast, and getting out on the boat to enjoy the company of others. After a long day in the sun, we would wind down with dinner on the dock and do it all again the next day!